Monday, March 12, 2007

Poem Analysis "Theme For English B"

The Rhythm and Meter

First Stanza:

_ / _ / _

The instructor said, >> Trochaic dimeter, 1 foot monosyllable.

/ _ _ /

Go home and write >>Iambic monometer, Trochaic monometer.

_ / _ /

a page tonight. >>Trochaic dimeter.

_ / _ / _ / _ /

And let that page come out of you-- >>Trochaic tetrameter.

_ _ / _ /

Then, it will be true. >>Spondee monometer, Iambic monometer,1 foot Monosyllable.

Second Stanza:

_ / _ _ / _ / _

I wonder if it's that simple? >>Trochaic monometer, Spondee monometer,

Iambic dimeter.

/ _ / _ / / _ / _ / _ / _

I am twenty-two, colored, born in Winston-Salem. >> Iambic dimeter, Anapestic

monometer, Iambic trimeter.

_ / _ / _ _ / _ _ /

I went to school there, then Durham, then here >> Trochaic dimeter, Spondee

monometer, Iambic monometer, Trochaic monometer.

_ / _ / / _ / _ / / _

to this college on the hill above Harlem. >>Trochaic dimeter, Iambic dimeter, Anapestic

monometer.

_ / _ / _ / _ / _ / _ /

I am the only colored student in my class. >>Trochaic hexameter.

_ / _ _ / _ / _ / / _

The steps from the hill lead down into Harlem, >>Trochaic monometer,

Spondaic monometer, Iambic dimeter,

Anapestic monometer.

/ _ / _ / _ _ / _ /

Through a park, then I cross St. Nicholas, >>Iambic trimeter, Trochaic dimeter.

/ _ / _ / _ _ / _ / _ /

Eighth Avenue, Seventh, and I come to the Y, >> Iambic trimeter, Trochaic trimeter.

_ / _ / / _ / _ / / _ / _

the Harlem Branch Y, where I take the elevator >> Trochaic monometer,Dactylic

monometer, Trochaic dimeter, Iambic monometer.

_ / _ / / _ _ / _ /

up to my room, sit down, and write this page: >> Trochaic dimeter, Iambic monometer,

Trochaic dimeter.

Third Stanza:

_ / / _ _ / / _ / _ / _ /

It's not easy to know what is true for you or me >>Dactylic monometer, Spondaic

monometer,Iambic trimeter,1 foot

Monosyllable.

_ / _ / _ / _ / _ _ /

at twenty-two, my age. But I guess I'm what >>Trochaic tetrameter, Spondaic

monometer,1 foot Monosyllable.

_ / _ / _ / / _ _ / _

I feel and see and hear, Harlem, I hear you: >> Trochaic trimeter, Iambic

monometer,Trochaic monometer,1 foot

Monosyllable.

/ _ / _ _ / / _ / _ / _

hear you, hear me--we two--you, me, talk on this page. >>Iambic dimeter, Trochaic

monometer,Iambic trimeter.

_ / / _ / _ /

(I hear New York, too.) Me--who? >>Trochaic monometer, Iambic dimeter,1 foot

Monosyllable.

/ _ / _ / _ / _ / _ /

Well, I like to eat, sleep, drink, and be in love. >>Iambic pentameter, 1 foot

Monosyllable.

_ / _ / _ / _ / _ / _

I like to work, read, learn, and understand life. >>Trochaic pentameter, 1 foot

Monosyllable.

_ / _ / / _ / _ / _

I like a pipe for a Christmas present, >>Trochaic dimeter, Iambic trimeter.

_ / _ / _ / _ /

or records--Bessie, bop, or Bach. >>Trochaic tetrameter.

_ / _ / _ / _ / _ / _

I guess being colored doesn't make me not like >> Trochaic pentameter, 1 foot

Monosyllable.

_ / _ / _ / _ / _ / _ / _

the same things other folks like who are other races. >> Trochaic hexameter, 1 foot

Monosyllable.

_ / _ / _ / _ / _ /

So will my page be colored that I write? >> Trochaic pentameter.

/ _ / _ / / _ /

Being me, it will not be white. >>Iambic dimeter, Anapestic monometer,1 foot

Monosyllable.

/ _ / _

But it will be >>Iambic dimeter.

_ / _ / / _ /

a part of you, instructor. >>Trochaic dimeter, Iambic monometer,1 foot Monosyllable.

/ _ /

You are white-- >>Iambic monometer, 1 foot Monosyllable.

/ _ / _ / _ / _ _ / _ /

yet a part of me, as I am a part of you. >>Iambic tetrameter, Trochaic monometer.

/ / _ / _

That's American. >>1 foot Monosyllable, Iambic dimeter.

_ / _ / _ / _ _ / _ / _ /

Sometimes perhaps you don't want to be a part of me. >>Trochaic trimeter, Spondaic

monometer,Iambic dimeter,1 foot Monosyllable.

/ _ / / _ / _ / _ / _ /

Nor do I often want to be a part of you. >>Iambic monometer, Anapestic

monometer,Iambic trimeter,1 foot Monosyllable.

_ / _ / _

But we are, that's true! >>Trochaic dimeter, 1 foot Monosyllable.

_ / / _ /

As I learn from you, >>Dactylic monometer, Trochaic monometer.

_ / _ / _ /

I guess you learn from me-- >>Trochaic trimeter.

/ _ _ / _ _ /

although you're older--and white-- >>Iambic monometer, Trochaic

monometer,Spondaic monometer,1 foot Monosyllable.

_ / _ _ /

and somewhat more free. >> Trochaic monometer, Spondaic monometer, 1 foot

Monosyllable.

Fourth Stanza:

/ _ _ / _ / _ /

This is my page for English B. >> Iambic monometer, Trochaic trimeter.

The Rhyme

Theme For English B by Langston Hughes

The instructor said, A

Go home and write A

a page tonight. A

And let that page come out of you-- B

Then, it will be true. B

I wonder if it's that simple? A

I am twenty-two, colored, born in Winston-Salem. B

I went to school there, then Durham, then here C

to this college on the hill above Harlem. B

I am the only colored student in my class. D

The steps from the hill lead down into Harlem, B

through a park, then I cross St. Nicholas, D

Eighth Avenue, Seventh, and I come to the Y, E

the Harlem Branch Y, where I take the elevator F

up to my room, sit down, and write this page: A

It's not easy to know what is true for you or me A

at twenty-two, my age. But I guess I'm what B

I feel and see and hear, Harlem, I hear you: C

hear you, hear me--we two--you, me, talk on this page. D

(I hear New York, too.) Me--who? C

Well, I like to eat, sleep, drink, and be in love. E

I like to work, read, learn, and understand life. E

I like a pipe for a Christmas present, B

or records--Bessie, bop, or Bach. F

I guess being colored doesn't make me not like E

the same things other folks like who are other races. G

So will my page be colored that I write? B

Being me, it will not be white. A

But it will be B

a part of you, instructor. C

You are white-- A

yet a part of me, as I am a part of you. D

That's American. E

Sometimes perhaps you don't want to be a part of me. B

Nor do I often want to be a part of you. D

But we are, that's true! D

As I learn from you, D

I guess you learn from me-- B

although you're older--and white-- A

and somewhat more free. B

This is my page for English B. B

The Tone

The tone of this poem is sorrow because it implies the feelings of the author. In this poem, the author was not asking for sympathy or an apology, just understanding. He wish is to be accepted not as a black man but as an American. Every stanza describes the sadness or the sorrow of the author’s feeling.

Paraphrase

Things will be not the same if you are colored. I feel the different treatment from the society because I am not white even though I eat, drink, and sleep, just like they do.

I have seen many unpleasant things about discrimination till my age of twenty-two and I realize that whatever it takes, I will not be white but as an American, I want to be treated as equal as the real American, the white American.

Denotation and Connotation

* Instructor

Denotation : teacher or trainer

Connotation: government especially the white who usually give command

* Colored

Denotation : having the color that is mentioned

Connotation: of a race that does not have a white skin

* White

Denotation : of the color of fresh snow

Connotation: of a pale-skinned race

Imagery

* Visual imagery: instructor, page, colored, Winston Salem, school, Durham, college, hill, Harlem, student, class, park, St. Nicholas, Eighth Avenue, Seventh, Y, Harlem Branch Y, elevator, room, see, New York, a pipe, records, folks, races, white, American, older.

* Auditory imagery: said, hear, talk.

* Kinesthetic imagery: said, go home, write, wonder, went, steps, lead, cross, take, sit down, talk, eat, sleep, drink, work, read, and learn.

* Abstract imagery: true, simple, easy, guess, feel, be in love, understand life, being, a part of you, free.

Figurative Language

Symbol:

* The instructor said (line 1), symbolizing the white especially the government.

* I am twenty-two, colored, born in Winston-Salem (line 7), symbolizing other races that are not white.

* I feel and see and hear, Harlem, I hear you (line 18), symbolizing black people that are live in Harlem (the area of black people).

* I hear New York too (line 20) symbolizing area where the white people become the majority who live in especially the wealthy.

* Being me, it will not be white (line 28), symbolizing white American, not from black races.

Personification:

* I feel and see and hear, Harlem, I hear you (line 18)

* Hear you, hear me – we two – you, me, talk on this page (line 19)

They are personification because you here refer to Harlem. Harlem is an area where the black people live in. It can not talk or do an activity like human do. Harlem, I hear you mean that the poet understands the sadness and the pain of black people that are treated bad or differently by society.

Apostrophes:

* I wonder if it’s that simple? (line 6)

* So will my page be colored that I write? (27)

They are apostrophes because the poet asks his questions to the world or blind things so it can not be answer.

Theme

Races discrimination leads to anger, disappointment, and dissatisfaction.


No comments: